Wellington Branch of the Theosophical Society
Wellington Branch of the Theosophical Society was the first branch to be established in New Zealand, in 1888. Members meet regularly and discuss theosophical topics.
We have regular bi-monthly Members’ Meetings, weekly Public Meetings and an excellent library on many subjects.
Public Meetings - Open to Enquirers
7:30-8.30pm – Tuesdays (See Programme in the Prana Newsletter below)
2.00-4.00pm – First and third Sundays (see Prana Newsletter below)
Newsletter and Programme
The Wellington Branch has one of the best libraries in Wellington for esoteric literature. Members of the Wellington Branch can borrow books for a couple of weeks at a time.
All are welcome to visit the Library during the open hours. Membership of the library is also available to non-members.
Tuesdays only -- Before and after the Public Meeting (See Programme)
Check out the Online Catalogue below.
Special Interest Groups:
The members are also involved in various activities and belong to special interest groups like the Golden Stairs Character Building Group, Liberal Catholic Church and the Theosophical Order of Service.
Where: 19 Marion Street, Te Aro, Wellington
Liberal Catholic Church: 10.00-11.30am – Third Sundays. (Contact: Clive Conland – 04 233 0406)
The Theosophical Order of Service (TOS): Yearly Events and Volunteering (Contact: Sushma Webber 04 4971 2409)
Historically among its members were Sir Harry Atkinson, Prime Minister of New Zealand; Mr. Van Staveren, the Jewish Rabbi; H. M. Stowell, a Maori Tohunga (priest); and Mr. Edward Tregear who wrote a book about the similarities of the Hindu and Maori languages. Another notable long-standing member was H. G. R. Mason, who was Attorney General in 1935 and held various ministerial offices during his political career and yet found time to be actively involved with the work of the Theosophical Society.